This high-fat, low-carb diet is the most popular diet in America (Google reports more than 25 million searches for the keto diet in 2021, with the Mediterranean diet coming in second place). But as anyone who’s tried this diet knows, it does often require a lot of time in the kitchen. “Some kitchen gear will come in handy when making keto-friendly recipes like eggs, omelettes, seared meat or fish, roasted veggies and shakes,” says Dr. Josh Axe, certified nutrition specialist and founder of Ancient Nutrition. Here are some of the items you might want to consider.
Veggetti Tabletop Spiral Vegetable Cutter
$14.99 on Bed, Bath & Beyond
- Josue Reyes, personal trainer and health blogger, says a spiralizer is the most used gadget in his kitchen.
- “I use this spiralizer to make squash, zucchini, cucumber, carrots, literally everything into vegetable pasta. In my opinion, it’s much more filling but without the carbs and you can create meals with vegetable spaghetti the same as you would with regular pasta,” says Reyes.
- This one comes with three different blades, for thick and thin pasta-like slices and ribbon slices for things like potato chips.
Cosori Premium Dehydrator
$159.99 on Amazon
- “Having a dehydrator means you can easily make beef jerky and kale chips,” says Peter Lee Thomas, a health and wellness guru.
- This one offers six stainless steel trays, one mesh screen and one fruit roll sheet.
- It has nearly 10,000 reviews on Amazon and a 4.8 out of 5 star rating.
Prepworks by Progressive Avocado Keeper
$9.95 on Amazon
- Keto blogger Zuzana Paar recommends having an avocado keeper on hand. “Avocados make delicious additions to many dishes but it’s use it or lose it,” she writes.
- This avocado keeper ensures your leftover avocado stays fresh for days.
Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer
$99.95 on Amazon
- Using an air fryer means you can crisp up foods without the addition of breadcrumbs, and you can make healthier meals than you would by frying food in oil.
- This four-quart air fryer features six one-touch cooking programs including air fry, bake, roast, broil and more.
Soleader Egg Separator
$8.99 on Amazon
- If you’re not a huge fan of egg yolks, this handy tool helps separate egg whites from the yolks so you can enjoy keto-friendly “cloud egg” dishes.
- This simple tool is dishwasher safe, has an extra long handle, and can be used to make a variety of egg separation dishes.
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Skillet
$17.90 on Amazon
- Axe says this is helpful for making eggs, searing meat and cooking veggies.
- This 10.25” oven-safe skillet has more than 119,000 reviews, averaging 4.7 out of 5 star reviews on Amazon.
- It can be used to sear, saute, bake, broil, braise, fry or grill.
Hurom HP Slow Juicer
$379 on Amazon
- Thomas says a big part of the ketogenic diet is fasting. “I like to have a slow juicer on hand so that I can get lots of micronutrients without indulging in a bunch of calories,” says Thomas.
- And Reyes says his juicers often come in handy at the beginning of the week. “I organize all my fruits like apples, oranges, pears, grapefruit, kiwis, lemons, limes and pineapple, and I juice them and store them in mason jars in the fridge so I can drink them throughout the week,” says Reyes.
Oil Sprayer for Cooking
$13.99 on Amazon
- Olive oil is an essential keto diet ingredient and this oil sprayer makes it easy to control the amount of oil being used to coat a pan for sauteing vegetables or marinating meat.
Vitamix E310 Blender
$349.95 on Vitamix.com
- Axe recommends having a good quality blender on hand. “Use it for keto smoothies and shakes like those made with Collagen Peptides powder or use it to make salad dressings and marinades for salads and meat,” says Axe.
Spring Chef Premium Swivel Vegetable Peeler
$8.97 on Amazon
- Having a vegetable peeler on hand makes it quick and easy to add veggies to salads or make other low carb dishes.
- This peeler features dual stainless steel blades that swivel for ease of use.
- It has garnered nearly 25,000 4.8 star reviews on Amazon.
Fullstar Mandoline Slicer
$24.98 on Amazon
- Make veggie ribbons and slice vegetables with ease using this 6-in-1 vegetable spiralizer, potato slicer, zoodle maker and more.
- Make zucchini chips, low carb squash lasagna or healthy baked carrot chips using this handy tool.
Nordic Ware Naturals Baker’s Half Sheet
$17 on Walmart
- “Use this to make all sorts of non-starchy roasted veggies, or meat such as baked chicken thighs,” says Axe.
- This aluminum sheet pan measures 16.25” x 11.25” x 1 and cleans easily with soap and water.
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1
$89 on Amazon
- Use an Instant Pot to prepare keto-friendly meals like flank steak taco salads, paleo beef brisket, greek cauliflower rice, sausage kale soup and more.
- This six-quart Instant Pot Duo is equipped with pressure cooking, slow cooking, rice cooking, yogurt making, steaming, sauteing and food warming capabilities.
Silicone Egg Bites Mold
$17.99 on Amazon
- Make easy egg bites with this 8.25” food-grade silicone mold that can be used in a pressure cooker, in the freezer or even in the oven.
- This reusable container and lid have nearly 3,000 reviews on Amazon and a 4.6 out of 5 star rating.
Wide-Mouth Glass Mason Jars
$16.99 on Amazon
- Use these jars to can, pickle, preserve and ferment fruit and veggies for up to 18 months.
- Made from quality glass-crafted with upgraded soda-lime glass, these jars are food safe and lead-free.
- Paar says she uses them for just about everything, including keto-infused iced teas.